Tim in Germany!

September 29, 2005

Stuttgart Vollksfest and Steve Vai



I checked out the Stuttgart version of Oktoberfest on Tuesday night. It was half price beers for students and we found a table in a tent. It was almost as good as the real Oktoberfest in Munich. Lots of drinking, lots of dancing on tables, awesome times. Im trying to post some pictures here, but blogger truly sucks ass with pictures, I just dont get how such a good idea and big company can suck so bad at something rather essential. Enough ranting, check out the yahoo photos page for lots of em

Last night I went to the Steve Vai concert here in Stuttgart. Now, I had only really known the name Steve Vai as being a killer rock guitarist. I started to get a little concerned when they were setting up the fan in front of him ('for the rock and roll effect of blowing peoples minds') and the smoke machine with it. I'll say it right here, Steve Vai is a douschebag. Anyone who knows me, I rarely dislike a good guitarist, I will at least respect them. But not Vai, he's stuck in the 'worship me' phase of being a talented musician, and has forgotten to back it up with good music.

As talented as he is with his speed, and licks, etc. His music has no melody, no structure and is nothing but him making asshole faces at the crowd ('look how easy this is for me', etc) and standing in front of the wind machine to blow his 1982 hair back, distracting the crowd even more that he's a dousche.

BUT, the night was well worth it, as the opening band was FANTASTIC!!! They seroiusly blew my mind. It was fronted by a dude named Eric Sardinas, who can rock and roll with Mississippi Blues. The entire show was fantastic. Not only was he a stellar, original/sticking to the roots, guitarist; but the show was unreal. They really put it out there.

I got to meet the band afterwards, and its not common for me to lay there dribbling at a rock star, but I had nothing but compliments to give these guys, all of em, there was a killer drum solo that blew everyone's mind, and the bassist was really good at backing up someone like this. Unfortunately, they did their tour backwards, and already hit up Toronto, but if you ever get a chance to see him, DO IT!!!! Oh yah, bring some earplugs or something, cause it's LOUD.

But rockin nonetheless.

k, gotta go, I have a class. shit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home