Tim in Germany!

September 22, 2005

quick whats up

sorry for the long delay in posts. Its been a packed week. Unfortunately, I havent got a whole lot to talk about. I have been trudging away at my class all week. Its really starting to be a pain in the ass. I cant wait till its over. My mornings are always shot, and cause I have to wake up so early, so are most of my nights. There's talk about a trip to Munich this weekend with all the exchange students. Oktoberfest should be awesome. Theres a Stuttgart Oktoberfest too, but as much as all the Germans tell me its the same thing, I dont think I would have the same creditbility if I didnt make it to Munich for it. We'll see how that goes. Ashley and Ryan left on Monday for Munich for the same reason, I havent heard from them, but we were tentitively planning on meeting in Amsterdam this weekend. I have a long weekend next weekend, so I will probably spend the weekend there with some dudes from here. Also, Im really considering hitting up the Canabis Cup in November. Its something pot smokers in North America only dream about, but now that Im here, I have to check it out.

Tonight Im going to one of the Sweedish exchange students houses to have an international pot luck. Each person cooks something from their native country and shares it with everyone else. It should be a good time. Everything from Sweet and Sour Pork to Sweedish Meatballs to good ol hamburgers are gonna be made and devoured. I'll bring my camera and get some pics from tonight. Since Canada is a brand new country and really doesnt have much of its own traditional culture, I decided to make some baked salmon, as we have some damn good salmon in the Great White North and I make a mean Baked Lemon Salmon. Its in the oven right now.

Funny Story: Not that I have to confirm the ignorant American stereotype to any of you, but it gets confirmed all the time over here. We were out drinking last week at a biergarten here, and the topic of American/Canadian knowledge came up. Another Canuck and I put some of the dudes to the test. Now, since all the Americans here are here to get some worldy culture, I wasnt sure of the stereotype would hold, as these are not typical Americans, BUT, they still knew as little about their neighbours to the north as any red neck you'll meet. We asked them a simple question: What's the capital of Canada?

We decided to not expect them to pick it out of the blue and gave them 10 options. 10 Canadian cities to choose from, and they just had to pick it out. (Best answer I heard was '...uh...Alberta?') So after a 15 minute ordeal of wrong answer after wrong answer, a team of 5 of them actually managed to defy the odds and get 9 answers wrong! Out of 10, they managed to choose Ottawa last, and we had to give it to them as they had forgotten the last city we said. Hilarious.

We also asked them to name the 'tallest free standing structure in the world'. This coming after one of them told me about the time he was in Toronto to see a Jay game (in the Skydome, no less). I gave him so many hints (it's in Toronto...when you drove into Toronto, did you notice anything unusual about the skyline? maybe something abnormally large?)...nothing... (You were right NEXT to it when you saw the Blue Jays play)... nothing ... argh! This once was actually guessed right after around 20 mintues of random guessing by some of the Ami's.

So, as much as we all know this very well and dear, our neighbours to the south are actually as ridiculously ignorant about everything outside of their country as we all thought. Fuckin Americans.

Thats my rant, gotta go check on my salmon. peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home