Tim in Germany!

November 05, 2005

Google Desktop

So ive read a few things on friends' blogs and strewn about the internet about the new rivalry between Microsoft and Google. I agree with most of what Microsoft does, and I don't always blame them for computer troubles, but i do like the balls out attitude of Google. They are determined to improve our way of life with the internet and its search availabilities, and I think I tend to agree. I just got a pretty cool new piece of nerd software called Google Desktop.

Its essentially Google for your PC, it indexes your entire hard drive, and finding a certain document is just a simple search away. I like the idea of using Google's backbone to search, cause they do rule at that. I read in an interview that Microsoft's vision is to help people organize their own data. ie, making folders and subfolders, and endless subfolders, as the data increases. As this may function, I personally think it takes alot of unnecessary work. Google seems to run with the almost chaotic file sorting, and just asks you to give it some info on what youre looking for and let it find it for you.

I gotta wonder what these two paradigms will lead to. Assuming personal data will continue to soar as it has in the past, I think Google's method will be easier and longer lasting. I believe theres only a certain point at which you can store your own information logically. The metaphor of phone numbers comes to mind. 30 years ago, people could function by having only an indexed set of numbers that they use, remember the Rolodex? After a while though, things just got too complex for everyone. Nowadays, how many people search for a number, either with the internet, or with a standardized catalouge system (ie Yellowpages?). I just think it is a common trend with information.

I say everyone give it a try, I was sold on Google Desktop within an hour of using it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home